Friday, February 24, 2012

R-word

This is a cause that has a special meaning to me of course as a special education teacher. I work in a middle school where my students can benefit from inclusion with their peers regardless of the severity of their intellectual disability. Yet, even in this setting where their "typical" peers interact with and see my students on a daily basis, I still hear the R-word in the hallway or during lunch, and every time I get that burning feeling in my ears. According to the Spread the Word to end the Word website: "Respectful and inclusive language is essential to the movement for the dignity and humanity of people with intellectual disabilities.  However, much of society does not recognize the hurtful, dehumanizing and exclusive effects of the word “retard(ed)." If that isn't enough to change your mind about the use of the r-word, here is a video that might.  


1 comment:

  1. Danielle,

    Your blog is amazing. It just shows what a huge heart you have. I have taught many kiddos with lots of different special needs and my other kiddos have always been so protective of them. We use Conscious Discipline in my classroom which is all about building your School Family. I love how it builds the connection between ALL of my kiddos.

    I am happy to be your newest follower and I would love for you to come visit me when you get the chance. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete